Chainsaw crankcase splits are a core mechanic of chainsaw operation. A chainsaw chain engages and rotates on an exposed crankcase sprocket.
When the chain becomes too worn or damaged, it will slip off the sprocket and cause a loss of power and potential safety hazards.
The traditional method of splitting chainsaw crankcases is by using a reciprocating saw blade to chop open the case.
Chainsaw Crankcase Splitting Tools:
Chainsaw crankcase splitting tools are essential for getting the most out of your chainsaw. Here you go: you need this, and you’ll find it.
What You Need:
- A chainsaw crankcase splitting tool
- A chain saw
- A bar or bat (for striking the chain)
- A piece of wood at least 2 inches thick
- An area free from obstacles, such as trees, wires, etc.
Where to Find Them:
There are many brands and types of chainsaw crankcase splitting tools on the market. Some popular brands include Husqvarna, Makita, and Dewalt.
Chainsaw crankcase splitting tools are also available at hardware stores, home improvement stores, and online retailers.
How to split a chainsaw crankcase without a puller
If you’re having trouble splitting your chainsaw’s crankcase without the use of a puller, try these steps:
- Disconnect the spark plug wire.
- Remove the chain from the sprocket and remove the sprocket from the crankshaft.
- Pry up on one side of the crankcase while levering with the second piece of wood, using a screwdriver as a pry bar if necessary, until it splits open. Do not force it; you may break the case or separator plates.
- Turn over (the case that is) to the other side, and agitate it so it’s raised up.
- By reversing these steps, you can install the new crankshaft and chain onto the case.
What are chainsaw crankcases made of?
Chainsaw crankcases are made of a metal called magnesium. Magnesium is a light, strong metal that has good heat and wears properties.
It is also very corrosion resistant. Chainsaw crankcases are often made of several layers of magnesium to increase their strength and durability.
Do chainsaws have crankcase oil?
Chainsaws have a crankcase that is filled with oil to help power the engine. The oil is important because it helps prevent the chain from coming off of the blade, and it also lubricates the chain.
Some chainsaws come with a removable oil tank, while others have a built-in tank. Either way, it’s important to keep the oil level high so that the chainstays lubricated and doesn’t come off of the blade.
What is in the crankcase of a chainsaw?
Chainsaw chainsaws are one of the most popular tools in the world. They are used for cutting trees, logs, and other materials. A chainsaw’s engine is located in its crankcase. This section of the machine contains all of the moving parts that make it work.
What is inside a chainsaw’s crankcase?
A chainsaw chain is connected to a crankshaft that spins the saw blade. The crankshaft is attached to an engine block which houses all of the other moving parts, including the fuel and air filter.
The carburetor regulates the amount of fuel and air entering the engine, and it also powers the ignition system.
The spark plugs ignite these gases, which then turn the pistons. These pistons push gas out of the cylinders and this action powers the saw blade.
How do you split a Stihl crankcase?
If you have a Stihl chainsaw and need to split your crankcase, there are a few different ways to go about it. You can use an ax or a wedge, but the easiest way is to use a hydraulic chisel.
First, make sure that the chain saw is completely shut off. Then place the chisel on top of the crankcase and hold down the trigger while turning the crank handle. The chisel will cut through the oil seal and the crankcase will split open.
What does the crankcase of a small engine do?
The crankcase of a small engine is where the engine’s pistons and crankshaft are housed. It also contains the fuel and oil pumps, the ignition system, and other important components.
The crankcase is sealed off from the atmosphere, which protects it from contamination and helps to keep the engine running smoothly.
What is a chainsaw clutch called?
Chainsaw clutches are devices that connect the chainsaw engine to the transmission.
They allow the operator to change gears and speeds, as well as stop the chain from spinning. There are three basic types of chainsaw clutches primary, auxiliary, and inverse.
The primary chain clutch engages the chain when you start the engine; the auxiliary clutch engages the chain when you push a lever forward, and the reverse clutch engages the chain when you pull a lever backward.
If you have a standard engine, then you likely don’t need to worry about splitting your crankcase. But if you’re working on something, then it’s a good idea to learn how to do it yourself.
There are a couple of ways to perform it, and here we will demonstrate how to go about one of these methods.
- Remove the front wheel and any other movable parts that could get in your way. You’ll also want to remove the gas tank if possible.
- Locate the two bolts that hold the crankcase cover on (typically these are located just in front of the rear tire). Using a wrench or socket, remove these bolts.
- Lift up on the crankcase cover and pull it away from the engine block (be careful not to drop screws into the engine!).